It is now possible to change the work item icons in on premises TFS 2017.2 and in VSTS. This is a cool feature allowing you to, recognize the type of work item at a glance. However there is a significant difference between TFS and VSTS how you apply this change. Let’s explore how we can change icon for existing and any new tem projects in both TFS 2017.2 (works just same in TFS 2018 RC1) and in VSTS.
Thursday, 14 September 2017
Friday, 8 September 2017
From TFS 2015 it was possible to create Team Projects for on premises TFS, using the web interface. But when you create a team project from web interface it does not create Reporting Services or SharePoint integrations. With TFS 2018, SharePoint server integration has been removed and if you want to integrate with SharePoint, setup your SharePoint site using the SharePoint’s own interface. However, Reporting Services is still in use with TFS 2018, and integration to Reporting Services gets created when a Team Project created via Visual Studio (you can use VS 2017 to create a Team Project in TFS 2018 RC1). A Team Project created with web interface will not have a Reporting Services integrated and let’s look at how to create that integration using command line.
There is no ISO available to download for VS2017. You can view why Microsoft did not make ISO available, is discussed in here. However if you want to download VS 2017 to perform an offline installation you can follow the steps described below.
- Download the relevant VS installation .exe (for example vs_enterprise__984310617.1489458965.exe).
- Copy it to your local hard drive folder let’s say E:\Install
- Create a folder to download installation files say E:\Install\VS2017 (can be in a different path such as D:\VS2017)
- Open command prompt as administrator and change the directory to where your downloaded .exe is available
- Execute the command below
Sunday, 3 September 2017
TFS 2018 RC1 is now available and you can download it from https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/. Release note here explains the new features you can expect in TFS 2018. Below features are going to be removed from TFS with this version.
- SharePoint Extensions
- XAML Builds
- Team Rooms
- Lab Center and automated testing flows in Microsoft Test Manager support
Requirements for TFS 2018 can be found here. Let’s look at the installation experience with TFS 2018 RC1 on Windows 2012 Server with SQL 2016 SP1.